Tuesday 23 November 2021

Take two: The Mansions of Bedlam, Gerard Windsor (2000)

For a full review, see my Patreon. I keep plugging away at this appeal having convinced myself of the value of what I write. If nobody values my reviews apart from myself I’d grow down instead of up, and I dream of the sun sometimes. If you can spare a few coins each month to support my writing, all the better. If you cannot, then that’s sad too. 

I took this photo in front of a sketch mum made of some of the participants in a sort of hybrid vacation and study tour of Oxford that she and dad did in the 90s, a time when I was struggling with work commitments and with the demands of a young family. On the day I started reading this book I met a man – who I know to be Catholic because he told me his uncle was a papal knight – on account of some coins I wanted to sell that had come to me as part of my patrimony. I was paid in cash, the last time I ever got anything from dad being when, in payment for some painting work I did on the interior of an apartment he owned in Elizabeth Bay, I was gifted mum’s green Toyota Corolla station wagon. I was very young and thought it generous but with the years I came to understand how miserly my father was, so keeping coins in a bank’s safety deposit box summed up the man.

No comments: