Saturday 6 November 2021

Take two: Hostage to Fortune: The Troubled Life of Francis Bacon, Lisa Jardine and Alan Stewart (1998)

For a full review see my Patreon. I will fully compensate for subscriptions made using the interface found at this link: regular review of books in my library will go up every month. There were eight reviews in September and another six in August, so money will be well spent.

Costing me $11.65 on the Co-Op Bookshop’s remainder table in the autumn of 2008, this book was another bargain. In the past few months on my wanderings around my house searching for material to keep me entertained I’ve encountered a lot of books bought from the tertiary education book retailer. This one’s a bit dry and a little hard to follow at times, but if you want to know more about it you can subscribe. You’ll see that I give this book a “mixed” rating – neither wholly positive nor damningly negative.

I chose miniature floral watercolours as the background for my shot of the book’s cover because miniatures were a way for people in the Renaissance to get likenesses of others. In fact, during his time with the English ambassador to France Bacon knew a miniaturist, and kept in touch with him all his life.

No comments: