Thursday 18 November 2021

Take two: The English Civil War: At First Hand, Tristram Hunt (2002)

For a full review, see my Patreon. A subscription is very cheap for what you get. What do you get? A number of incisive and generous reviews of books every month by a passionate reader. I read a range of different things, from literary fiction to poetry, and from history to current affairs. See blog page above for comments from authors on my reviews. In a recent review of a book of poetry I was complimentary and author Christina Strigas tweeted, “Thank you for the wonderful review of Love & Metaxa! So in-depth and analytical. I loved it.” 

This book was bought new at Kinokuniya in or soon after August 2004. At the time I was deep in readings of British history on account of an infatuation with Jane Austen, whose novels I’d discovered at about the time (2002) this book was published. For some reason – probably topic fatigue – I didn’t get around to reading this book until now. I don’t regret this happening as it’s brought me back into touch with parts of my personal history that’d long been dormant.

No comments: