Friday 26 November 2021

Take two: Bury the Chains: Prophets and Rebels in the Fight to Free an Empire’s Slaves, Adam Hochschild (2005)

This book has an Amazon sticker on the back and no other price markings, so I’m not sure where it was bought by me. It might’ve come from Amazon but I doubt it. More likely it’s from an op-shop – but in that case why not a sticker saying “$3” on the back cover? It’s a mystery. 

I chose a photograph of a nude to go with this book, one of my Bruno Schultz Verlags which Elmer Johansen had in his cupboard somewhere and which came to me when Uncle Geoff died. The Danes actually outlawed the slave trade before the Brits did.


For a full review, see my Patreon. It costs almost nothing to subscribe, less than three cups of coffee for a year’s worth of articles. As I read voraciously new pieces’re put up several times a month. I’m currently going through old books in my collection that’d never been read by me, but I also read more recent work. Even if you never read the book I’m reviewing I hope that my words’ll inspire good thoughts for you. 

No comments: