Sunday 12 February 2017

A very warm day

I managed to sleep last night in segments of time but it's all a bit of a blur. I know I was asleep from some of the time at least. I kept on waking up because of the extreme heat. I turned over my pillow twice. It wasn't as bad as it had been at some times up in Queensland when I lived there. At those times I would have a completely sodden pillow where the sweat from my head had accumulated in the night.

This morning I got up late and got out of bed and made some coffee. Then I got the dirty laundry and put it in the washing machine, putting out the recycling garbage as well, with the bottles, in the garbage room on my floor. I turned on the washing and closed the door to the laundry compartment in the kitchen.

After the coffee was finished I tried to drink some wine but it was too acidic - I had finished up with this bottle the previous night, and remembered it had made my stomach churn - so I threw out what was in the glass, then poured the rest of the bottle down the sink. I went back to bed, stripping off my sodden clothes, then immediately got up again as it was too hot in bed. I had tried to read a bit but it was no good, it was just too hot, and I calculated that it would be better to be up and at the computer than in bed in this heat. I got up and got a bottle of rose from the sideboard in the bedroom, and put it in the fridge.

I went out to the computer without a shirt on, just my pants, but when I decided to do a blogpost I realised I would need a shirt because it would look too unseemly to take a photo of myself with no shirt. I thought about messaging the girl but decided against it because she had told me yesterday by message that she wanted to go for three days without messaging me. I had already written a poem for her this morning - it is a poem about being alone - and I went back to reread the poem, as well as some others I have written this year.

While writing this blogpost I got up to make some cheese-on-toast. I also put away the dishes from yesterday, which included some dishes from breakfast, which she had cooked here with me in attendance. Strangely to think, but I heard at some point this morning on the TV that it would rain this afternoon, and that the temperature would be lower. It's hard to credit it, but actually when I look out the window I can see the grey clouds coming across the city, so it might in fact be true. Thank goodness, we've had three days of this heat now and it's not a novelty any more, it's just a trial.

No comments: