Saturday 9 December 2023

TV review: Black Spot, Netflix (2017-19)

I really loved this strange police procedural based in eastern France, it’s sort of like the German show ‘Dark’ in that it involves s forest and a mystery. The acting, casting, and direction are excellent and make for a bingeable product. I stayed up all night to finish this.

The show plays with ideas of Frenchness especially in the emphasis of pagan gods, the resistance of the Roman invasion, and even a love affair with Agatha Christie. I thought the music had affinities with ‘Father Brown’ in fact. I liked the secondary environmental theme and the badass grandfather (Olivier Bonjour) who alienates everyone.

Laurent Capelluto plays a sort of Mr Bean-like character, the public prosecutor, who brings a sort of zany earnestness to every scene he’s in and serves to counterbalance the rather severe chief of police (Suliane Brahim) who however does a good job of managing to be interesting and correct.

This is entertaining fluff with serious intent, worthwhile watching 2 seasons to get through. I hope they bring it back for a third season, I’d definitely watch.

No comments: