Friday 17 March 2023

New kotowaza paintings

I wonder if getting “kotowaza” (Japanese sayings) from my family is quite fair, if it’s just a way to get approval in advance for a piece. I’m not sure. All I know is that it makes sense to do paintings in this way, by getting other people involved. Perhaps this was my weakness all those years ago in that the reason I didn’t continue with art practice when I was a young man was because I needed approval.

Perhaps.

Nevertheless that’s who I am. I have another friend who helped with these paintings and her name is Basia, she helped by suggesting the colours. She said I should go outside my comfort zone and do green/blue and maroon/purple and that’s what I did.

'Chalk and cheese' (the moon and a turtle).

'Loost a fly to catch a trout' (a loss leads to a benefit).

'An impossible task' (eye medicine from the second floor).

'Ups and downs' (fall down seven times get up eight).

This wasn't the order in which they were made it was 1, 2, 4, 3 but I started with the green/blue ones and then did the maroon/purple ones. If you have suggestions for the colours for the nexdt lot, let me know in the comments. I will try to get more "kotowaza" sayings from my family soon ...

No comments: