Wednesday 14 July 2021

Take two: Franz Liszt, Oliver Hilmes

For a full review, see my Patreon

I chose to include this monotype I made when I was the age Liszt had been a performer already for half a decade. The monotype shows a young women or a girl in profile. A monotype is special because it is made by painting directly on glass, whereupon you place a sheet of paper over the wet paint to make a print. Liszt is special for many reasons, but this book was chosen because I wanted to know more about the “classical” music composers dad loved. In fact, it was me who preferred the Romantics like Liszt. Still, dad’s example drove me when I’d gone to Abbey’s Bookshop not long ago to buy the new Wagner study (see earlier review). Liszt’s daughter married Wagner – though I didn’t know this fact when I picked this book off the shelf.

No comments: