Friday 20 October 2006

Balmain Road
On the way home this afternoon, after popping into the SRC bookshop (where I picked up Off One's Tits: Ill-considered Rants and Raves from a Graceless Oaf Named John Birmingham), taking $50 out of my cheque account and picking up a kebab to munch on, I swished over the Anzac Bridge to the Balmain Town Hall on account of the 2MBS book & record bazaar.

The big room upstairs
The fiction section is at the back of the big room. Without counting the cost of my selections as I went along the tables, I miraculously managed to stay on budget, taking up with my right hand and placing in a long column on my left arm 16 books, for $49:

Cannibals & Christians, Norman Mailer (1967)
A Man in Full: A Novel, Tom Wolfe (1998)
The Best Australian Poems 2004, Les Murray Ed. (2004)
The Information: A Novel, Martin Amis (1995)
Morality Play, Barry Unsworth (1995)
Twilight of Love: Travels with Turgenev, Robert Dessaix (2004)
Poems of Thomas Hardy (1979)
Fourteenth Century Verse & Prose (1928)
A Passage to India, E. M. Forster (1942)
The Poems of William Blake (1913)
Hooking Up, Tom Wolfe (2000)
Lions and Shadows: An Education in the Twenties, Christopher Isherwood (1938)
The First Stone: Some Questions About Sex and Power, Helen Garner (1995)
Remembering Babylon, David Malouf (1994)
The Unvanquished, William Faulkner (1955)
Another Day of Life, Ryszard Kapuscinski (1988)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're going to need more new bookcases soon, Dean!

Matthew da Silva said...

I've got a new bookcase just delivered in my study, which should cover me for a few months. I seem to be buying more books lately, which might be related to my membership of LibraryThing: the urge to maximise your holdings and compete against other members. Current book count: 1080.

Unknown said...

I was in the top 25 for a while at LT but now am around 53 which has disappointed me a bit.

I am think I am only going to keep slipping down because my book-buying budget is zero for a few months.

Matthew da Silva said...

I see we've now got 121 books in common, Ron. It was 116 until my spree on Friday.

Are you a writer? I notice you've got a lot of non-fiction titles on writing in your inventory.