Saturday 6 January 2007

Short story wunderkind Cate Kennedy muses on the origins of fiction in The Age today. She also attempts to justify her affection for short-form writing.

This puzzle and challenge is the foundation for my enduring love affair with short fiction. It is, admittedly, a perverse love affair, since the market for short stories is very, very slim. Many an editor has told me I would be better off transferring my affections to the novel, particularly if I harbour any desire to see myself in print.

It's a marvellous little piece. I urge you to read it. (I believe that she is indeed currently working on a novel.)

Despite the poor prognosis for the short story she delineates, I anticipate that Kennedy, who has just published Dark Roots, will become a favourite with Australians as well as many people overseas. She's that good.

No comments: