Tuesday 2 April 2019

Grocery shopping list for March 2019

This post is the fourth in a series.

2 March

Went to Coles and bought some shaved leg ham, some Hungarian salami, some dolmades, a container of Greek salad, some Cheddar cheese, sandwich bags, mouthwash, tissues, and paper kitchen towels.

The sales clerk commented on the tote bag I had with me, saying that it was from an Indian company. I didn’t remember where the bag came from so I said, “Is it?” and she said it was a jewellery company that had had the bag made. No-one had ever commented on this particular bag before so I assumed the sales clerk was from the subcontinent.

3 March

Went to Coles and bought three pieces of Scotch fillet steak, shaved leg ham, milk, soy sauce, jellies, green nashi, pears, tomatoes, an avocado, oranges, potatoes, and red onions.

7 March

Went to IGA and bought rice, tissues, toilet paper, and bread. My daughter and her boyfriend had arrived the day before with a plan to stay at my place for about two weeks. They would do most of their own shopping as it turned out, and I only had to look after basics.

11 March

Went to Coles and bought eggs, bread, milk, potatoes, toilet paper, and a pack of sandwiches (for dinner).

15 March

Went to Coles and bought mushrooms (shimeji, oyster, shiitake), rocket and baby spinach salad, Vietnamese-style dressing, pork meatballs, vermicelli noodles, and a chocolate cake.

19 March

Went to Coles and bought a chicken-and-mayo sandwich, snacks, bread, biscuits, Cheddar cheese, olive oil spread, garbage bags, laundry liquid, and toilet paper.

20 March

Went to IGA and bought sliced ham, sea perch fillets, milk, eggs, tomatoes, celery, baby corn, sweet corn (on the cob), and carrots.

25 March

Went to IGA and bought tuna steaks, sea perch fillets, sliced roast beef, peri peri dip, hummus, potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkin, bread, biscuits, a blueberry cake, toothpaste, and soap.

27 March

Went to Coles and bought snow peas, mushrooms (enoki, shimeji, oyster, shiitake), garlic, a chilli, spring onions, black grapes, green nashis, coffee, milk, and dish scourers.

Some of the fresh produce which came packaged in plastic (the peas) and in a plastic bag (the grapes), both of which containers had a bar-code on them, didn’t register with the automated check-out machine I was using however, even though the machine beeped to indicate that they did. The machine gave me an error message and I called over a sales clerk who said that the last two items had not been recorded. I told him twice that I had heard the beep to tell me that they had but both times he just repeated what he had told me, implying that he thought I was lying. More reason to avoid Coles in future, I thought to myself as I left the store, and use the IGA, where they reliably have sales clerks manning their check-outs.

30 March

Went to IGA and bought lamb cutlets, a piece of Scotch fillet steak (organic), chicken thighs, ling fillets, sea perch fillets, sliced roast pork, Cheddar cheese, snacks, biscuits, and canola oil.

No comments: