Tuesday 17 November 2015

Optus, there's no place for hatred in Sydney's west

I was terribly disappointed today after reading a story about Optus ads on the SMH website following an outing when I took mum to the haematologist for her regular appointment. I have been taking mum to this blood doctor for over a year now and each time we go we learn she is going to live due to apposite use of medications. Then this story which shows up the narrow-mindedness of some parts of the community. What is the point of doing everything to prolongue life when all life is debased by such hatred and bigotry?

I find it incomprehensible that some people would object to Arabic ads used by the telecommunications provider. But I also don't really see the connection between Islam and the terrorist attacks that happened recently in Paris. All I see is a bunch of opportunistic criminals who debase the name of a religion to further their illegal aims. ISIS is no more representative of Islam than the bigots in western Sydney who complained to Optus about its Arabic ads are representative of the demographic I belong to. They are at polar opposites. I want nothing to do with either of them,

Now is a time for embracing our brothers and sisters in the Middle East, the people who are fleeing ISIS in their thousands seeking a safe haven in Europe. One of the better things the previous government did was to grant citizenship to 12,000 Syrians in Australia, and I would like to say to those people who are coming from so far away: be welcome in our land. Be comforted by our love of peace. Be peaceful in the bosom of our cities and towns. Work, and live, and strive, and thrive among us because we need you as much as you need us!

No comments: