Thursday 23 July 2015

A visit to Randwick

Earlier this week I organised to go and meet a friend who works in Randwick and so this morning I got in a cab and went out to the Eastern Suburbs to meet him. In his office we had coffee and talked for an hour-and-a-half or so then I left him at his office front door, turning up Albion Street which takes you to Bondi Junction. In the mall I stopped at a Japanese ramen restaurant and ordered a large bowl of tantanmen which I ate at a steel table situated on the footpath. After lunch I walked south down Oxford Street and crossed over the bypass at Nelson Street, Woollahra.

I stopped off briefly at a pub in Woollahra to attend to nature but then continued up Queen Street to Oxford Street and then turned west, heading toward the city. I walked all the way down to Hyde Park and then crossed Elizabeth Street into Bathurst Street, heading down the hill toward Darling Harbour. At the footbridge I crossed over the expressway. Then I turned north and came up under the Pyrmont Bridge, and home.

The photo shows Paddington Town Hall and, if you look down the corridor of Oxford Street into the grey distance, you can just see on the horizon the square-block tower of the University of Technology, Sydney. I thought the contrast between the two buildings - separated as they are by about 100 years of history - was suggestive of the vintage of the city of Sydney. As you can see there were quite a lot of clouds today. I took an umbrella with me this morning because it was raining when I left home, but it soon cleared up and didn't rain for most of the rest of the day.

No comments: