Friday 15 December 2006

You Witness is a new service offered by Yahoo! that allows anyone to upload digital movies and photographs into an online news environment. The story was covered by The Economist (9-15 December issue).

The movies and photos can then become part of Yahoo!'s news Site. "Upload your photos and video here to have them considered for use in articles and features on Yahoo! News," says the Web site.

This is a new instance of the type of opportunity that Channel Seven (which has a joint venture with Yahoo! in Australia) has offered viewers for some time now Down Under. Following each news program every night, Seven has run ads seeking contributions from individuals in the community covering notable events.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Non sequitur in relation to your entry, but I recommend Italo Calvino's If On a Winter's Night a Traveller. It is a piece of metafiction - very delightful prose, very brilliantly written. I'm sure you'll like it.

Matthew da Silva said...

I love Calvino. I studied him about 25 years ago as an undergraduate. Not books of his in my library now though -- when I went overseas in 92 they disappeared, along with my Bukowskis.

You're right, Calvino is wonderful. Truly wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Personally I don't appreciate Bukowski.

I love Calvino too - I hope to own an entire collection of his books one day.

Matthew da Silva said...

Bukowski was a great love of mine around the same time as Calvino. He's very subtle and a distinct voice. Noone else like him. And he writes both poetry and short stories, too.

Anonymous said...

I read Bukowski's poems and personally I don't like them. Will read his short stories when I have the time. :)

Matthew da Silva said...

You'll be too busy teaching Chinese and writing wonderful stories!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your compliment. I haven't written anything of quality for a long time already. Do you mind adding me on MSN? We can talk more there. :)

njosnavelin88 at hotmail