Wednesday 13 December 2006

The Guardian has run a post on their books blog about the snob value of reading Penguin Classics. Will all the admiring glances turn into ash, they ask, now that,

Vintage, an imprint of Random House, are about to enter the "lucrative literary classics market", republishing some of the greatest novels ever written with new "simple and approachable" covers.

Hmmm.

In any case, the picture they chose to accompany the post is quite interesting showing, as it does, a fashion model reading Kerouac. Very postmodern, I think.

But not very original. Sydney Uni's Department of English has had a similar pic on the splash page of their Web site for years. It shows, natch, Marilyn Monroe reading Joyce.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. When buying books I care more about the prices, the quality of paper, the font size of the contents and the appeal of the cover than the publisher though.

Anonymous said...

Anyway your blog is really informative for a bookaholic like me.

Matthew da Silva said...

Glad you enjoy it, Miao. I try to stick to book topics, but it's sometimes difficult.

Like today: I almost posted about the electoral victory of Irwandi Yusuf in Aceh. But then I found a couple of book things to blog about instead.

Anonymous said...

Who are your favorite authors? What kind of books do you usually read?

Matthew da Silva said...

I like novels a lot, but I also read quite a lot of non-fiction. I think that Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go is great. I also like DBC Pierre a lot.

Recently I read Geraldine Brooks' Nine Parts of Desire, a book of literary journalism about women in Muslim countries. It was very interesting. You can read my review if you scroll down.

There's also a review of Pramoedya Ananta Toer's The Fugitive, which I enjoyed very much.

Anonymous said...

I love Kazuo Ishiguro too. His 'The Remains' of the Day' is very beautifully written with a most poignant and subtly ironic ending.

I read a lot of non-fiction too. Usually I read up on general science, philosophy and astronomy.

Feel free to drop by my blog when you are free, and comment on my writings if you have the time to spare - your reviews will be much appreciated.