Sunday 30 January 2022

Take two: The Cantos of Ezra Pound (1934)

I cannot say for sure how long this volume has been in my collection but there’s no sticker on it so it might’ve been bought from Amazon. The page edges are not all clean so it’s been a while, but the US price printed on the back cover is US$25.95, which means the purchase is fairly recent.

To go with the book cover I’ve chosen photos of my maternal grandfather, who was a Communist. Harry died of skin cancer in the 50s, so was probably born at about the same time as his more famous coeval. I know nothing about Pound beyond a short sketch in Wikipedia and some faint memories that’ve been gathering dust in the attic of my mind like old clothes. Before I put them on they’ll need to be repaired, so I will try to find a biography of this interesting author. Here's my review.

No comments: