Thursday 28 May 2009

If Australians are famous early adopters of new technology, what does that say about people who know what they want but cannot find it? Are we sceptical wannados? Early procrastinators? Adaptive tolerators?

Based on Rod Easdown's smh.com.au survey of digital radios available in Perth, I'm not sure what category I fit in. But I do know that - given the high prices and my limited budget - I don't see much here that fits the bill.

Because I don't see much point in a standalone system, a box I put in my entertainment cabinet with a knob to change channels. I spend most of my time at my computer so what I want is a design that allows me to choose from the study what is playing in the living room. Given the technologies such as Bluetooth that are available, I don't see why that should be so difficult.

I can't think of anything worse than being forced to vacate my comfortable desk whenever I want to change channels. I'm fond of my living room, but not so fond that I want to view its many splendours several dozen times every day. I'm too busy checking Facebook, reading newspapers online and writing, to bother with those kind of shenanigans.

Is it too much to ask to be able to tune the radio from my computer screen? Surely there's at least one enterprising radio design team out there in technoland that sees things my way?

We'll see. In the meantime, I'm going to hang back on purchasing a digital radio until they start spruiking the features I desire in annoying banner ads on smh.com.au. By the time this happens the gadget will be priced within my budget and I'll be able to choose from among a number of competing brands. Vive ubiquity!

No comments: