Tuesday 7 November 2017

Rowe Street, Sydney CBD

When I visited the Reserve Bank of Australia on Sunday as part of the Sydney Open event (the city opens up buildings to the public each year) the building's curator, John Murphy, mentioned Rowe Street where the MLC Centre is now located, which he said used to be a Bohemian centre for the metropolis.

So I asked the city archives if they had any information on the street and they sent me a small map showing how the street used to look before the new construction (the Harry Seidler building) in the 1970s. People will be aware that the Theatre Royal is now located in the MLC Centre, as is the Commercial Traveller's Association (which used to have its own building on the corner of Castlereagh Street and Martin Place).

I think that Rowe Street might make material for a new series of blogposts once I have finished with the current series on brutalist buildings in Sydney.



No comments: