Friday, 9 April 2021

Dream journal: Thirty-six

This is the thirty-sixth in a series of posts chronicling dreams I have had. As usual, the date shown is the date the dream was captured. This is usually the morning after the night the dream took place. You can’t wait very long before capturing a dream because it soon disappears from memory.

12 June 2020

Dreamt I was working for the government and because the manager of the unit was away I was seconded to replace him. I had to prepare a translation of a newspaper for distribution and I printed out a cover sheet onto which I could put the addressee’s details, then because someone suggested writing it in Japanese I had to look up the kana in a book as I had forgotten even the most rudimentary things about the language, such as how to write “ku”. 

I made a stab at writing, in kanji, “kokusai kouhou” (“international PR”) and then, suddenly I was concentrating on writing “gruupu” (“group”) and I couldn’t remember two of the kana, but managed to put the details in. (In real life I worked for the International Communications Group at Yamatake Co Ltd from 1992 to about 1998, at which point the team was disbanded and I went to a series of different work units as the company decided my fate.) In the dream, I wasn’t addressing the newspaper to the ICG but, rather, to a completely different unit though I don’t, now, remember its name only that one of them was to make user manuals. (In real life, the ICG helped to rewrite translations of user manuals, and I had spent a good many hours engaged in this task while employed by Yamatake.)

Then I was walking to work in the morning and I met Musha-san, the man who had taken over my role doing English-language PR (internal and external) in 1998. Now, in the dream, he was working in a Western country – where I was employed; fate having brought us, again, into each other’s orbit – and I asked him how he could live with himself considering the damage his actions had caused. I listed the consequences of my leaving Yamatake under a cloud, which was an event, in real life, that had deeply impacted on the lives of all members of my family, and all of this in English, which he spoke fluently. Surprisingly, I learned that his mother had been born in the UK, in fact in Hull, the town where one of my ICG colleagues was raised and hailed from.

Distributing the newspaper was taking a long time. I managed to achieve this apparently simple task, which was one, among many, that I had to do now that I was a busy person as a manager. Then the replacement manager arrived. A European. I scurried off to at least complete the task of delivering the newly-bundled newspaper with its cover sheet (the destination’s name written, in Japanese, on it). I had contemplated photocopying the addressed cover sheet so that I would have some forms prepared when it came time, the next time, to do the same thing: send a newspaper to people.

No comments: